Blow KL

John Blow’s works now seem to by identified by KL numbers. What is this the abbreviation of? My Grove’s is too old to know.

Thanks.

Well, for what it’s worth, I have a subscription to Grove Music Online, which is totally up to the minute. The long article on Blow lists all the works, with nary a mention of any catalogue numbers.

Where are you seeing KL numbers?

Le 02/06/2021 12:16, Andrew Bernard via The Jackrail écrit :

Well, for what it’s worth, I have a subscription to Grove Music Online, which is totally up to the minute. The long article on Blow lists all the works, with nary a mention of any catalogue numbers.

Where are you seeing KL numbers?
Mostly on recordings:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=john+blow+kl

Intriguing. Grove Music has always been rather quirky.

I suspect that this is an abbreviation for Robert Klakowich who edited the Musica Britannica volume devoted to John Blow’s harpsichord music.

Best,
Matthew

Le 02/06/2021 14:46, Matthew Daillie via The Jackrail écrit :

I suspect that this is an abbreviation for Robert Klakowich who edited the Musica Britannica volume devoted to John Blow’s harpsichord music.

Thanks, Matthew. Quite possible.

The page for this volume gives a rather strange “Contents” for this
volume, where some pieces have numbers, and others don’t:

Yes, the 1998 Klakovitch ed. might just have missed being integrated in the 2001 Grove edition. I don’t know exactly how the online version is updated but I seem to remember that the editors are (or were) receptive to ongoing suggestions.

If you look at the pdf of contents, it gives a list of all the works by Blow and the various Stainer & Bell editions. For example, the first Saraband in G Major appears both in the MB volume 73 (Complete Harpsichord Works) and their publication Blow, John: Twenty-Five Harpsichord Pieces (also edited by Robert Klakowich) which has the reference K44. I think that the KL numbers refer to the order of pieces in MB73.
Best,
Matthew

Le 02/06/2021 16:08, Matthew Daillie via The Jackrail écrit :

If you look at the pdf of contents, it gives a list of all the works by Blow and the various Stainer & Bell editions. For example, the first Saraband in G Major appears both in the MB volume 73 (Complete Harpsichord Works) and their publication Blow, John: Twenty-Five Harpsichord Pieces (also edited by Robert Klakowich) which has the reference K44. I think that the KL numbers refer to the order of pieces in MB73.
Best,
Matthew
Quite possible. But the PDF is also strangely inconsistent. For example:

Almand (D minor, No. 22 in volume) Harpsichord 1 in MB73
Almand (D minor, No. 29 in volume) Harpsichord 1 in MB73
Almand (E minor) †† Harpsichord 1 in MB73
Almand (F major, No. 90 in volume) †† Harpsichord 1 in MB73
Almand (G major) Harpsichord 1 in MB73
Almand (G minor, No. 62 in volume) Harpsichord 2 in MB73
Almand (G minor, No. 65 in volume) Harpsichord 2 in MB73
Almand (A minor, No. 72 in volume) Harpsichord 1 in MB73

Why don’t two of these Almands in MB73 have their number?

Then:

Voluntary in G (No. 10 in volume) Organ 2 in MB69
Voluntary in G (No. 11 in volume) * Organ 2 in MB69, K43
Voluntary in G (No. 12 in volume) * Organ 3 in MB69, K43

These pieces, not being for harpsichord, are not in MB73. So to what
volume do the numbers refer here, since some of them are in two
publications?

I don’t know why those two almands don’t have a number (one of them is of doubtful attribution). I don’t have the MB volume so I can’t check.
K43 corresponds to Stainer & Bell’s edition of Sixteen Organ Pieces by John Blow and MB69 is the Musica Britannica Complete Organs Music edition.

Best,
Matthew

Dennis only listed some of the Almands. Here are all of them, in their various spellings:

Almaine (D major)
Allmand (C major, No. 5 in volume) *
Allmand (D minor, No. 32 in volume)
Allmand (D minor, No. 84 in volume) ††
Almand (C major, No. 8 in volume) *
[Almand] (C major, No. 1 in volume)
[Almand] (C major, No. 9 in volume)
Almand (D minor, No. 22 in volume)
Almand (D minor, No. 29 in volume)
Almand (E minor) ††
Almand (F major, No. 90 in volume) ††
Almand (G major)
Almand (G minor, No. 62 in volume)
Almand (G minor, No. 65 in volume)
Almand (A minor, No. 72 in volume)
Almand (A minor, No. 76 in MB73 & No. 68 in PC6) †† *
Almond (C minor) ††
Almond (F major, No. 43 in volume) *

It appears that a publication sequence number (or two!) is shown exactly when there is more than one piece in a given key. This would permit a reader to tell them apart in lieu of an official works-list identifier. In the rest of the list, the editors didn’t consistently ignore or distinguish spelling variations, but the same general pattern appears for the other types of pieces.

I suspect that Matthew is right about the KL numbers and that they are spurious.

Gordon