Bruges Competition

Experience from other competitions shows that this reasoning is faulty. The Cliburn and Chopin competitions’ ticket sales have not been hurt by online streaming, and involvement and support worldwide have been very much enhanced by their YouTube streams. It shouldn’t be too difficult to get sponsors to cover the production costs for such a prestigious event.

1 Like

The four finalists are: Rodrigo Belio, Gabriel Smallwood, Maciej Skrzeczkowski and Dmytro Kokoshynskyy

That’s three months from initial submission to now. A rather drawn out process.

The winner is Maciej Skrzeczkowski: The Competition | Ma Festival | Musique Antique | Brugge

If the first round is still online on youtube, I’ll go to find his video, as I don’t remember him just now.
However, congratulations!

3 Likes

Congratulations to Maciej! I look forward to hearing more from him in the future. I still think the Competition is missing a great opportunity by not streaming the proceedings. I look forward to enjoying the Chopin International Piano Competition on Historic Instruments, October 5-15. If you watch, you will see what a marvelous job they do.

1 Like

Complete results:

:1st_place_medal: First prize: Maciej Skrzeczkowski
:2nd_place_medal: Second prize: Dmytro Kokoshynskyy
:3rd_place_medal: Third prize: Gabriel Smallwood
:medal_sports: Laureate: Rodrigo Belío
:medal_sports: Prize of the audience: Dmytro Kokoshynskyy
:medal_sports: Prize Luigi Ferdinando Tagliavini: Gabriel Smallwood

1 Like

Maciej has a YouTube channel. I do agree that he is a superb player. He is currently studying with Carole Cerasi in the Hague.

1 Like

Interesting that Cerasi is one of the jurors. Just sayin’. Possible conflict of interest? Ah, the politics of music.

Well, not only is it common that competitors have studied (or are studying) with one or more of the jury members, but many competitors have also been known to go to jury members (who may not be their normal teacher) for coaching on the specific pieces they have to play in Bruges. I guess it is not against the rules - it is done very openly.

Carole has done very well in terms of teaching 1st prize winners - Maciej (though only for the last year), and Jean Rondeau. Of course both had other teachers and I’m not sure they would say that Carole was their main influence.