Goldberg Variations

Dear Domenico, sorry if you like Jean Rondeau. I have been in touch with a few professional harpsichordists which I greatly appreciate, and there appears to be a consensus among colleagues that he is a monster as far as style is concerned. He surely has mechanical talents, but somehow he manages to do the two main “no-no” s of modern harpsichord playing:

• he plays everything with modern piano technique, no early fingerings AFAIK
  • I still remember the often quoted sentence by William Christie, which he told me personally 30 years ago when we met: “In French-style music you play inégales as a rule: you only do égales when you have a specific reason not to do inégales”. Well, guess Jean Rondeau has lots of very special reasons, for he has recorded a lot of French and French-style baroque music and I still have to hear him performing a single inégale.

Please note that a recent review by Bradley Lehman, published in the USA, strongly criticises the excesses of Jean Rondeau in the recent Goldberg Variations performance. I also find this performance full of arbitrary readings of the score.

1 Like

Rondeau’s Goldberg can be heard online complete here:

Now please go, for example, to 31:30, variation 13:
lots of “romantic rubato”, i.e. failing to keep the tactus, with ridiculous ritartandi here and there, changes of general tempo, and other things that (as very well documented) were out of place in the Baroque era. A Romantic ritardando at the end of the first section.
A repeat with added ornaments: as demonstrated, this was highly unusual at the time: when they played with added ornaments, it was as a separate “Double” (of which Bach left quite a few written-out examples), not as the repeat. There is a good reasoning why this should not be done, if I remember well written by Tartini.
Another annoying and anachronistic custom of recent harpsichord playing, of which Rondeau is a true champion, is to linger forever (twice, three times the written duration!) in randomly-selected weak-beat notes, and also in the second section on a seventh chord.
Perhaps worst of all, a nasty tendency of playing slow movements all legato, again against well-documented Baroque manners.
I could go on for hours . It is for me a catalogue of things to avoid when trying to approximate, as best as we can, a Baroque-style performance.

1 Like

I’ll not give fuel to character assassination, which no doubt will continue to happen if I say all the reasons why I do like him. Not everything of him, to be sure, but enough to be charmed by his talent. Of course, style is a different thing than musical talent, isn’t it.

However, since you mention Lehman, I usually do appreciate his viewings and most often agree with him, so would you please point me towards his ranting review of Goldberg? (Which of course I don’t find “romantic” at all) A link or photocopy or pdf or something. Thank you in advance.

Dom

Ps of course I am not impressed by the sheer mechanics and speed. Usually I am bored by musicians who just show up.

Sorry to disagree, Domenico!

Incidentally, I have had very strong and public disagreements with Bradley Lehman, but then he has written on different subjects, we disagree sometimes, we agree elsewhere. And he is a fine and stylish performer, which is important.

I googled and found out: the Review was published very recently: in the American Record Guide, Jul/Aug 2022 issue.
AFAIK it is only available in printed form.

Excuse me, just a quick note. You are not meaning “no early fingering” automatically equals to “modern piano technique”, don’t you.
Piano tecnique with all the arm and wrist weight and movement; thumb used as a pivot when passing, i.e. putting on the thumb a good wealth of weight; fingers losing contact with the key; and so on. Does really Jean Rondeau play like that? Never noticed, I swear.

2 Likes

Of course I am not, thanks Domenico for clarifying this matter. Rondeau may not have what I would call a perfectly nice “finger based” harpsichord technique, but he certainly does not use piano weight technique. He just uses modern piano fingering.

[This said, guess we all agree that when we move from modern to Baroque fingering, it is not just using different fingerings for the same passage: the whole way of moving the fingers is different, the way to move the hand across the keyboard is different, the default position of the hands over the keyboard (actually often “out of the keyboard” in traditional technique) is different.]

As already noted by Mark Lindley almost half a century ago, Baroque fingering has two important effects:

• it forces us to tend to follow the “articulation by pairs” (whether legato, non-legato, inégales, Lombart or whatever),
  • it makes non-legato articulation natural: playing legato is difficult, and therefore is only done on purpose.
1 Like

Douglas, thank you for mentioning van der Veen’s edition; overall it is very good and I had not heard about it.

I do, however, agree with Andrew about the appearance of the ornaments. I have experience in making computer fonts and have created one with Baroque symbols, designed to reproduce original shapes as closely as possible. If anyone would like it (or a specimen in PDF format) just let me know. It is under the Open Font License so there are no restrictions on its use.

Along with his recording of the Goldbergs, Jean Rondeau recorded some of his thoughts about harpsichord playing and related topics. I found it worth watching (of course some will not agree with what he says). It’s about 8 min. long and is here.

Regarding clefs: I think that two versions is normally the best way to go. That’s what I do in my own projects. Otherwise, a large portion of players just won’t use it. (I myself am only gradually getting better at playing from C clefs, although I can read them.) Making a good edition is such a large undertaking that the result should not languish unused.

On a more positive note: one of my projects that I posted on IMSLP had, last time I checked, about 2/3 modern clefs and 1/3 originals downloads. That was more than I expected for the original version!

I know that, would you provide me, privately, a scan of it?
Thanks
Dom

Indeed, will write to you privately about this, Domenico.

If anybody has harpsichord-friendly fingerings for Variation 21 of the Goldbergs that they would be prepared to share, I would be very grateful (yes, I know, I should be able to come up with my own but it is just a far too time-consuming and unconvincing process for me and I no longer have a teacher to consult).
Many thanks.
Matthew

1 Like

Hi Matthew. I have a full hypothetical reconstruction of the fingering J.S. Bach and W.F. Bach would have used for the Goldbergs. I have scanned for yourself Var. 21, which I attach for private use only, with the obvious proviso that no copies should be sent outside Jackrail, because they would violate copyrights (this is my unpublished fingering upon a published edition based on Bach’s corrected copy).

1 Like

Certainly to be played on a single 8’ stop, and not as slow as sometimes heard. This is the only Goldberg variation where I use a “singing buff”. I play it mostly non-legato, except for some passages.

Thank you very much Claudio, that’s extremely kind of you. I’ll let you know how I get along.
Best,
Matthew

6 posts were split to a new topic: Double-plucking

While on the topic of printed editions, I just discovered Kenneth Gilbert made an edition and published by Editions Salabert. I have a lot of respect for Gilbert. What do people think about this edition? It’s still available secondhand in various places.

1 Like

Is the “Maintenon 1978” edition I mentioned earlier. Excellent in my opinion.

1 Like

Sorry Claudio, I don’t understand this sentence or what it is referring to. Edit post, perhaps (via the web interface).

1 Like

My bound edition of the Goldbergs was bound and in the process they did not include the title page, so I cannot be absolutely sure. But I seem to recall that it is the Salabert edition. The introduction is signed “Kenneth Gilbert, Maintenon 1978”. It was the first edition after the discovery of Bach’s own copy of the printed edition, with his handwritten corrections.

1 Like

So @CDV what is your opinion of the quality and scholarship of the edition? No fingerings I hope. There are some secondhand copies drifting about the internet.

Scholarship: there are some 20 lines of comments on particular passages/varints. This said, I find this Salabert edition excellent: well printed, no errors. It has no fingerings.

My own copy has my own Baroque fingerings which I wrote down back in the 1990s: they are a reconstruction of how J.S. Bach and W.F. Friedemann would have played it. Not surprisingly, this technique fits the score very well.

However, as we know, in the 1740s C.P.E. Bach and other younger players/students of J.S: Bach’s circle were in the process of adopting the universal thumb passing. One more reason why I have no plans of publishing a Baroque-fingered edition: it would raise huge discussions about whether this or that passage should be fingered this or that way. All sterile, since the Goldbergs were published precisely as the transition was taking place. Clearly, there is no possible “correct” or “historically plausible” fingering for the Goldbergs: we can only reconstruct how J.S. Bach would have played them (following evidence from fingerings from his milieu and the full agreement with F.Couperin’s fingering system), or else, and very differently, how C.P.E. Bach would have played them just a few years later, following his Versuch of 1753, and not too dissimilar from modern piano fingering.

1 Like