Harpsichord motto

Thank you for not smoking!

:rofl: You’re welcome.

This seems strange to me.
It’s like starting a sentence with :
« …that hidden music doesn’t bring any consideration »

the question would be : what’s it about ? what’s the story ? There is something missing…
(My feeling…)

An exemple :

EMENDATIO PARS STUDIORUM UTILISSIMA (Quintilianus)The original sentence is by PUBLIUS SYRUS

"OCCULTAE NULLUS (EST) RESPECTUS MUSICAE »it has been quoted by Suetonius who pretended it had been quoted by Nero…

Like in Quintilianus’s sentence, « est » is not necessary and it’s absence makes it more elliptic like above, or on epigraphs (or on harpsichords :slight_smile:

Oh sorry for the huge fonts. I didn’t mean it …

Martin GESTER

+33 (0)661 79 47 75 (mob)
www.martingester.com

www.leparlementdemusique.com
http://www.hear.fr/academie/index.php

Message parfois dicté / possibly dictated…

I think that’s what it’s supposed to mean, but the Latin is very strange. ‘Par’ is not used that way. (Shades of Spanish ‘para’ ?? – not to mention ‘fumar’ as the infinitive.)

If you think THAT Latin is strange, how about “Semper ubi sub ubi”?

(Yes, I know it’s wrong, but…)

Non torsii subligarium!

More mottoes:
Si vis pacem, para Abellum- to attain a state of peace, practice your arpeggios (in the works of the genial, energetic and light-hearted composer)

Sine cerere et Bacho friget Venus - Venus gets cold without malt and Bach (single malt, but it’s not clear which Bach is meant)

Um’ tidum dis, at o naval! - pride comes before a fall. To be accompanied by an illustration (This is an English children’s rhyme).

Sine Baccho friget Venus

(Bacchus/ Bach)

Martin GESTER

+33 (0)661 79 47 75 (mob)
www.martingester.com

www.leparlementdemusique.com
http://www.hear.fr/academie/index.php

Message parfois dicté / possibly dictated…

That’s the teetotal version.

Hi!
It reminds me of the Baffo, simply because of the square tail and the overall form. I have one here, made in the UK, not by Garrod though, and in proportion it seems very similar. Iron strung too, same compass.

Just a guess…!

PS I also have a copy of the Bononiensis, and it’s Andrew Wooderson who has the mottoed nameboard, quite after the original. He’d started the case of the instrument, so long ago…

So, while I’m here, or as the French sometimes say, while I have my mouth open : short octave spans.

I make a ‘student’ instrument, (definition : smallish, 1 register only) after the child Taskin, but with less keys, squeezing in GG/AA - e at 21,8 mm per key. Thet’s ever so slightly less than my standard french measure at 22,6 mm.
The potential customers always ask,’ won’t this disturb the change to a bigga instrument should little Jo ever grow up?’ Thus, in the spirit of the lambda parent, different key sizes are a potential problem. Standardisation is the cultural norm.
In practice, it’s never ever been a problem, and in the academies where there are different harpsichords and spinets all with varying stichmass, no one has ever pointed out an adaptation issue. It’s all in the mind!

Best…

Thomas Murach

04870 St Michel l’Observatoire

(33) 04 92 76 60 81

ProvenceBaroque