Inconsistent sound qualtiy

Dear members,

I’ve just done some small repairs on a harpsichord (broken plectra). What was very strange was the sound quality of the instrument: a string sounds well, the string next to it sounds muted as if there is still a damper or lute stop engaged, then again good sound for a couple of string, again the muted sound, etc.

I checked everything: for the “muted” strings there is nothing hindering the vibration of the string: no damper is touching the string nor is there any leather/felt of the lute stop touching the string.

According to the owner the instrument has been restrung from steel to other(whatever this might have been) wire a couple of years ago.

Any idea what’s causing this blatant difference in quality?

Have a nice week & keep healthy,

Chris.

Chris,

Your own ideas sound quite good. The only thing you didnt mention was the possibility of nut or bridge pins not seated properly. I have heard of that one causing wierd sounds, though have never encountered it myself. Perhaps more information about the nature of the instrument might help to shake other ideas loose.

David

Chris,
I have had on occasion, found a weird string with the properties you mention and discovered it was caused by too much twist occurring when I was winding the hitch pin loop. There’s nothing physically visible -no kinks or anything, yet a string that has been twisted too tightly will retain the deformity. Now, I always leave plenty of length between where I twist the loop and the end where the wire is held coming off the spool. (like at least 6 feet).
Tom

Thanks Tom. The instrument will probably come to my workshop in the coming months. I really hope that replacing the strings will result in a better and consistent sound for all strings.