Mouvement ordinaire

I seem to recall that the basic harpsichord touch is ‘movement ordinaire’. Yet I don’t know where this is mentioned in any treatises or text, or whether I am just imagining this. Can anybody (@CDV ?) illuminate this?

No “ordinaire” in J-J- Rousseau Dictionnaire de Musique (1765t)'s “MOUVEMENT” entry.

Neither in Chapter VIII of Saint Lambert’s “Principes …”: it is apparent that Mouvement in France denoted either what we call “metre” or what we call “tempo”.

Basic harpsichord touch is dealt with in quite a few historical and modern publications (e.g. my own Playing the Baroque Harpsichord book), and there is agreement on a non-legato detached default articulation. Whether this was ever named “ordinaire”, of course this is a distinct possibility!

Rameau in his Mechanique des Doigts (1724) mentions often “mouvement” about fingers, with adjectives such as “régulier” (for regular-beat exercise) and then about the way the fingers go up and down, including descriptions to achieve a detached articulation, but I cannot find the term “ordinaire” there.

Of course I agree about the default touch, but that’s what I thought it was called. Where I got that from I have no idea. I must have been dreaming (for a long time…)! Thank you Claudio for detailing this.

I just found this on a CD of Philidor suites for flute and B.C.:

Clearly a reference to tempo. But the term does exist, with at least one exemplar (OED needs three exemplars before they will alllow a word… :slight_smile: )

I know I have seen this term (referring to finger technique, not tempo) somewhere. I’ll see if I can track it down. I think it was in a modern book on harpsichord playing, not a Baroque source; but memory may not be perfect.

Ah. So I wonder if I got it from Maria Boxall or similar. I don’t have that book any more.]

What comes to mind is Marpurg’s ‘ordentliches Fortgehen’ (which might also have been published in French translation) or possibly 'al[l]gemeine[s] Fortgehen : here are a couple of nice links

https://paulsimmonds.com/articles/abstossen-schleifen-das-algemeine-fortgehen-thoughts-clavichord-touch/

Le 02/07/2024 17:47, David Perry via The Jackrail écrit :

I know I have seen this term (referring to finger technique, not
tempo) somewhere. I’ll see if I can track it down. I think it was in a
modern book on harpsichord playing, not a Baroque source; but memory
may not be perfect.

Rameau (De la mechanique des doigts…) uses the term, but it hardly has
to do with touch.

Le 02/07/2024 14:48, Claudio Di Veroli via The Jackrail écrit :

Rameau in his Mechanique des Doigts (1724) mentions often “mouvement”
about fingers, with adjectives such as “régulier” (for regular-beat
exercise) and then about the way the fingers go up and down, including
descriptions to achieve a detached articulation, but I cannot find the
term “ordinaire” there.

5th paragraph: “le mouvement ordinaire des doigts”

See here:

1 Like

… well spotted …

…(needless to clarify, Rameau is not referring to a type of finger movement or to articulation, but simply saying in advance that the finger movements he is going to explain in no way yields any inconvenience with the natural movement of the fingers)…