Number symbolism in BWV 988

My point exactly.

I’m sure Bach was very concerned about such symmetries, even if @dap you don’t think it has anything to do with the music.

Equals 16, so the work shows a 1:1 symmetry, again something Bach uses all the time, at many levels.

Andrew, you were just a bit earlier with the same MSG. Nevertheless, JSB clearly ordered his variations in groups of 3, each group ending w/ a canon. This would make the half-way division between #15 & #16.

Quite so. My suggestion was, of course, not serious. This is why I dont think the breaking into 4 x eight movements has anything to do with the musical structure.

David

@Pickett It did slowly dawn on me that you were joking. :slight_smile:

I take it as axiomatic in parsing the set of variations that the French Overture marks a new start after drawing breath.

David

Others have mentioned in the past that 33 were the (alleged) “years of Jesus”, so 32 variations plus an aria…?

Umm, it is one aria played at the beginning and end, and 30 variations. 32 “movements” in all. So 33 has no bearing on this, I don’t think!

It’s 32 no matter which way you look at it. I’ve never seen any mention of symbolic use of 33 in Bach’s music.

Since asking about the significance of 32, the deeper I probe, the less I find. It would appear it is nothing more than a good number, a power of 2, with lots of divisors that give many symmetries, nothing more than that.