Peterson vs PitchLab Pro

I’m hanging on to an old Iphone, carefully avoiding upgrade, just so I can continue using PitchLab Pro for tuning my chamber organ. No other tuner comes close to the convenience of seeing which pitch needs touchup.
I came across the Peterson website and sent them a note asking if they couldn’t have resolved the IP issue and keep PitchLab going. They responded, asking where I saw the claim that they were the cause of it’s withdrawal. Sheepishly, it was some old thread here casually mentioning it.
Does anyone have real intel. on this?

There is a lot of information concerning their legal destruction of the developer of Pitchlab Pro on the internet. It’s well documented, and by the developer himself in question. Gosh, you could probably even search court records. Even more morally bankrupt that your correspondent denies it. If I have time I may be able to find some links - which they would obviously deny. What’s the point? The developer is never going to restart. He’s an individual not a large company with ongoing longevity.

Long term you will need to find something else. iPhones eventually fail as does most electronics.

Sounds to me that what you like is being able to identify and tune harmonics. While I can’t recall names of apps right at the moment, there are at least a couple of Windows tuner apps that display such things. Not for phones, but it’s not the end of the world to use a small laptop - and besides, you can provide it with a decent small mic.

Thanks for your suggestion, Andrew. Yes, the “harmonics” are incredibly valuable when adding a 4’ stop. Often, this causes a drop in channel pressure which draws the 8’ a bit flat. I can see this in an instant, on the small phone that fits in my accessory bag. Adding a Windows laptop, which I would have to buy and sqaush into the bag and find a place to prop when tuning, is a non-starter.

I did get to wonder why instead of commenting on my complaint, they asked for a link to the claim they are the cause. So instead of providing links, I wrote:
“It has been the common perception within the early keyboard community ever since PitchLab was withdrawn from the app stores.
Why do you ask? I hope its not so you can go after those that know the truth of the matter.
If the community is mistaken, I would be happy to help correct a misunderstanding.”

I’ll report back what they have to say.

There’s a small finite possibility the the tuner would run in this app which appears to recreate iOS 4 on a new phone. You didn’t mention what version of phone and iOS you are using for the tuner.

But this is of great technical interest.

The thing that would work against this sort of emulation is that a tuner app necessarily needs access to low level hardware, always problematic.

I do not know if this product is still current or available, but have you looked at this?

https://www.tunelab-world.com/organtuner.html

I have an iPhone 5 that I keep plugged into the mains and use exclusively for PitchLab. It has given up asking me to update it!

David

And then, how do you gain access to PitchLab in order to install it?

David

No idea. I am not an Apple dev/user/etc.

An exercise for the reader. :slight_smile:

The whole matter is a dreadful thing caused by Peterson.

Just in case one of our “non-mobilepp-ati” is reading and wonders, let me repeat what I commented a long time ago.

Maybe because I am an experienced tuner, but for many years now I have only tuned my own harpsichord, and hardly more than once a month. I use a diagram from my Unequal Temperaments book.

On the other hand, I do have an Apple iPod with one of the best and expensive tuning software (which I got in order to test it a decade ago). It is certainly very accurate and fast. And for pianos it tunes the octave-stretching marvellously.

BUT in a harpsichord octaves and unisons are easier (and faster) to tune by ear:
As for the 12-note partition, I once timed myself using the iPod against using my diagram by ear: virtually the same time. What takes time is going from one wrest pin to the next and turning the hammer around to reach the desired pitch, and this is the same for electronics or the ear.

Furthermore, using the iPod requires starting it, loading the app and the temperament, so in the long run tuning by ear is certainly faster. Of course, tuning by ear is slightly less accurate than top-level electronics, but then where is the historicity of using an early instrument with associated techniques?
Tuning by ear is accurate enough for public recitals, chamber music and recording, and is as long- (or short-) lasting as tuning by electronics.

This is not about tuning by ear vs tuning with an app. This is about a how strobe tuners can help with harmonics and how organ pipes draw each other and the sorry demise of PitchLab.

The ear vs machine is one of the harpsichord Great Debates on forums and list. Start another new thread on this if you like - or dare. :slight_smile:

Myself, I very speficially did not recommend the OP to rune by ear, notice (for once). :slight_smile:

I suspect you mean iPhone?

I have always said and will continue to maintain that tuning by ear (unless a beginner) is more accurate than electronics as the ear integrates all the phenomena and parameters and given instrument idiosyncrasies and characteristics that electronics is only good but not excellent at. But that’s for a new thread.

No, iPod. That was 10 years ago. Cybertuner by Reyburn.

In most apps that may indeed be the case. I disagree in the case of the very professional Cybertuner: this is my experience anyway. Agree that this would require a new thread, perhaps not worth it …

My goodness. It must be the last one extant. A historical instrument itself. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This may help…I was able to load PitcLab Pro on a current gen Kindle reader.
No financial stuff involved , did not spend a cent. Works flawlessly.

A few years ago, I had to abandon my Nexus 5 in order to have VoLTE for when I visit the US.

My “new” phone is a used Pixel 4a 5g from eBay for about $145. I had to download the Amazon App Store apk and temporarily change the settings to accept an apk instead of going through the Google Play Store.

Use Amazon App Store to download Pitchlab Pro. Periodically it asks to restore purchases. Just click on it.

I’ve had no problems with Android updates, but haven’t seen any lately.

Before changing phones, I check the replacement price for screens. Older screens are much cheaper than the latest and greatest.

You can always find a friend with an Android phone and ask to try installing Pitchlab Pro to see if this will work for you.

Last and definitively final update for Android for Pixel 4 series from Google was Feb 2023. No more will come.

@ghaeh Try getting iPhone users to buy an Android phone. The very definition of futility. :slight_smile: The OP is an Apple user.

I’m not sure if the APK version still lingering is the full final release version, but it may be acceptable.