Pitchlab...gone?

I find AiryWare quite adequate. A fair library of temperaments - I can’t say I have explored them much. Many are probably based on Jorgensen by the names, along with Barnes, Lehman, Kellner, “Veroli Bach,” Kirnberger II and III, Werckmeister III, etc… It has the option to enter your own sets of offsets to add your own temperaments. No aural pitch output.

I preferred PitchLab with all its possibilities, but this is the best substitute I have found.

I like to think that machine learning is suitable technology for a highly specialized, super accurate predictions of spectral characteristics when tuning, given that one would define a specific problem space, then collect a large crowd-sourced data set of harpsichord tuning sound clips (requires scrutiny), and finally pre-train a well-graded model. So yes… not exactly feasable at the moment. But many pre-trained ML models are known to be light on resources on portable devices while the prediction accuracy is very high indeed. I think this could be a game changer. oh, I have so much more ideas now. I’ll get back to you if you’re interested. I’m definitively aware of the intricacies of tuning (experience with clavichords, harpsichords and upright as well as concert pianos).

Thanks Fred! “Veroli Bach” is surely my “WTC Best/Optimal”.
Why on earth does AiryWare include this?
In my U.T. book (only place where I have published it) I clarified that this is a modern deduction, and further it was certainly NOT in use anywhere in the Baroque era, simply because it cannot be tuned to any reasonable accuracy with the methods in use at the time.

Pitchlab still works on both of my iPads. But alas, not on my iPhone 11.

Andrew: very interesting idea! I bet there are a number of early music enthusiasts, who are also software-capable. Of course there is no hope of anyone making any money with this (hasn’t saying “early music” already selected for that?), but what about an open-source, community-driven effort? I suspect, if you or someone with the “chops” to put together an initial offering were to do so, on some site like github or wherever the cool kids go these days, there would start to be a gradual process of people improving it, adding capabilities, contributing custom temperaments, etc.: i.e., “start to build it, and they will come”. I’ll gladly help with such an effort myself, if I can. Open Tuner, anyone?

–Benjamin

Benajmin, this is an excellent idea. Having dismissed the possibility of ROI on a tuner app with temperaments, it never occurred to me to make it an open source project, and yet I am a huge proponent of open source, and this entire forum and website is all constructed entirely from open source componentry.

Open Tuner it is. I will start to set up some infrastructure. I am grateful to you for the inspiration and initiative. I will set it up on gitlab. I prefer that to github. First I better write some code!

I’ve sent the following message to the developer of APTuner.
“Dear AP-
There is discussion in online harpsichord groups about the need for a good tuning app for harpsichordists. Your app looks very good, but early music tuners also need the capacity to enter and save unique offsets for special temperaments.
What is the possibility of adding this to APTuner?
Thank you!
Ed Sutton”

Benjamin, Andrew,
This is a fantastic idea!
Count on me for a donation. Sorry I can’t be of any help on programming nor on temperaments. But we do have some huge temperaments experts here on Jackrail.
(Open tuner ok; what about Jackrail tuner?)

Want to mention, and apologies if it has already been covered in this thread: Carey Beebe has a good survey
of existing tuning apps, including a “wish list”, which I’d suggest could form the basis of the design goals
for this open-source effort.

https://www.hpschd.nu/tech/tun/apps.html

| domenico.statuto Domenico Statuto
November 17 |

• | - |

satanbane:

Open Tuner, anyone?

(Open tuner ok; what about Jackrail tuner?)

I like the idea of something incorporating “Jackrail”. Maybe some kind of clever acronym?
“Jackrail Inspirational Tuner” (JIT: “Just In Time”). That one’s kinda stupid, I’m not really
suggesting it per se, just making up an example which I hope someone can improve upon…

Pitchlab Pro for Android is still available here: https://pitchlab-pro.en.uptodown.com/android Works fine with Android 12.