RIP James Weaver

Jim Weaver, who many of us knew either through the Smithsonian or Oberlin’s BPI, died last week. Here is a short obituary. I’m sure there is a great deal more to say about him; for example, he was Alan Curtis’s roommate when they studied with Leonhardt in 1957-9. He also recorded the Bach partitas on the Smithsonian’s 1745 Dulcken.

Thanks Douglas for posting this here (here too, I should say). I was saddened by the news–had heard a lot of stories about him and finally met him in Berkeley “Cembalophilia” event in 2016.

1 Like

I met Jim years ago on the occasion of visiting the Smithsonian Collection. We had something in common in that our Blanchet French doubles were made in Bill Dowd’s Cambridge shop at about the same time. His instrument is being put to good use in a series of Washington, D.C. house concerts.

One year I was at a medical meeting in Washington and called Jim, who invited me to come to a performance at the Smithsonian that evening. He generously had a complimentary ticket waiting for me at the door. I remember that the concert included a brilliant reading of Mozart’s Symphony No. 29 in A.

I also recall an excellent Smithsonian Chamber Players performance in Houston during my time there. Jim was a marvelous and imaginative continuo player. He will be greatly missed. RIP.

1 Like