Slash ornaments in FVB

My understanding about the single and double slash ornaments on single notes throughout the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book is that the meaning is basically unknown. I suspect I may be uninformed and out of date. What is the latest research and viewpoint on these signs?

Pieter, having recorded the lot, what do you say (I’m sorry, I don’t have the set just yet and consequently have not read your booklet.)?

1 Like

Le 16/11/2020 07:58, Andrew Bernard via The Jackrail écrit :

My understanding about the single and double slash ornaments on single notes throughout the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book is that the meaning is basically unknown. I suspect I may be uninformed and out of date. What is the latest research and viewpoint on these signs?

Pieter, having recorded the lot, what do you say (I’m sorry, I don’t have the set just yet and consequently have not read your booklet.)?

There’s also a brand new edition of the FVB that might shed new light on
the question:

The new edition is presented in three volumes with a substantial preface
heading the first. It examines:

• The background to the period in which the known FVB composers lived.
  • A detailed discussion of the manuscript and its notation.
  • Notes on genre and instrumentation.
  • Information on performance style (ornamentation, fingering, black
    notation and time signatures).
  • An overview of instruments available to musicians of the period.
1 Like

Le 16/11/2020 07:58, Andrew Bernard via The Jackrail écrit :

We should also mention in this context Davitt Moroney’s fine recording
of Byrd’s Complete Keyboard Music (Hyperion), on various instruments -
since the FVB is the largest source for Byrd’s music.

1 Like