Structure markers and repeat signs

(Sparked by Andrew’s comment about low traffic.) Well, I may have something to contribute. For the last year or so, I have been looking at facsimiles of ‎keyboard music (mainly French), which is a new activity for me. I’ve been able to figure out most issues easily, but the use of structure markers / repeat signs has been difficult. I finally downloaded about ‎a dozen original editions from IMSLP and went through them chronologically. I think I’ve got a ‎handle (mostly, anyway) on this issue. I’d be willing to polish up my notes and post them here if they ‎would be useful to anyone; I’m sure that many people here already understand this stuff, but it wasn’t ‎obvious to me at first.‎

1 Like

I’d enjoy seeing that. Mostly I just play what sounds pleasing to me, which means I probably often do some recomposing.

Judy

Le 19/06/2020 16:44, David Perry via The Jackrail écrit :

(Sparked by Andrew’s comment about low traffic.) Well, I may have something to contribute. For the last year or so, I have been looking at facsimiles of ‎keyboard music (mainly French), which is a new activity for me. I’ve been able to figure out most issues easily, but the use of structure markers / repeat signs has been difficult. I finally downloaded about ‎a dozen original editions from IMSLP and went through them chronologically. I think I’ve got a ‎handle (mostly, anyway) on this issue. I’d be willing to polish up my notes and post them here if they ‎would be useful to anyone; I’m sure that many people here already understand this stuff, but it wasn’t ‎obvious to me at first.‎

That would be very interesting, David. Please do share this here. I
don’t think there’s anything obvious, if only because most repeat signs
are symmetrical and don’t indicate the direction of the repeat, as our
modern sign does.

Dennis