A double virginal

While we are on virginals, here is a very beautiful Flemish double virginal.

What is the meaning of the Latin ARS USU IVVANDA?

1 Like

Le 01/03/2024 03:16, Andrew Bernard via The Jackrail Ă©crit :

Carey Beebe gives the following translation on his site:

Art must be aided by practice ARS USU JUVANDA

1 Like

Le 01/03/2024 03:16, Andrew Bernard via The Jackrail Ă©crit :

Quite logically (?), it actually reads ARS VSV IVVANDA.

“Ars usu iuvanda [est]”- Art needs to be assisted by practice.

Boalch-Mould online carries more information under BMO-586 .
Wrongly labelled as “harpsichord”, I just submitted a suggested fix for this, but BMO carries interesting (and correct of course) details worth reading.

The soundboard rose depicting the god Pan blowing into the wind-feed of an organ (rather than onto a set of pan pipes) is interesting. Not entirely unlike some depictions of the Annunciation, with Pan instead of the angel Gabriel and the organ in place of Mary’s ear.

Better write to The Met! They use U in their description - even though clearly V on the instrument s you point out.

@mshields is this a classical quotation?

I find it a curious saying as to me it is simply a truism, hardly worthy of comment or inscription or as moral instruction or spiritual uplifting. Perhaps it is just short and fits the space available!

On Ars iuvanda est Andrew wrote: “is this a classical quotation
 to me it is simply a truism.” It’s used in a print illustrating a poet and his muse by Pieter Yver, 1738 Amsterdam (quick online search).
Proverbs do tend to be truisms, and their popularity is quite culturally specific. German speakers still use them more frequently and less ironically than English speakers: Übung macht den Meister.

I’ve seen “V” used to replace “U” in Latin a lot. Especially in carved stone. So I’m surprised you think there is something wrong about this.

I never said there was anything wrong - but actually there was no U in Latin, only V.

Not when I learned Latin anyway. [back somewhere near Roman times :slight_smile: :slight_smile: ]

1 Like

Here we are, (complete with late Latin 'U’s :slight_smile: )

Since iuvare means to help to aid or to assist, could this mean Art requires help (from the Muse?) and since ivvanda is Latin gerundive (not gerund) which implies a sense of obligation, can it mean Art must be helped (by the Muse?)

[Pardon my undergraduate Latin efforts.]

[quote=“andro, post:12, topic:1706, full:true”]

Yes, there is a sense of obligation. Literally it means “Art must be helped by practice”.

1 Like

The front flap of my virginal, completed last year, was copied from this Grouwels, though with a different motto.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

I always wondered where that originated:

The phrase was used in the ritual of papal coronation ceremonies between 1409 (when it was used at the coronation of Alexander V)[3] and 1963. As the newly chosen pope proceeded from the sacristy of St. Peter’s Basilica in his sedia gestatoria, the procession stopped three times. On each occasion, a papal master of ceremonies would fall to his knees before the pope, holding a silver or brass reed, bearing a tow of smoldering flax. For three times in succession, as the cloth burned away, he would say in a loud and mournful voice, “Pater Sancte, sic transit gloria mundi !” (“Holy Father, so passes worldly glory!”).[4] These words, thus addressed to the pope, served as a reminder of the transitory nature of life and earthly honours.[5][6][7]

From Sic transit gloria mundi - Wikipedia

Reminds me very much of this Roman practice:

In Ancient Rome, a slave would continuously whisper ‘Remember you are mortal’ in the ears of victorious generals as they were paraded through the streets after coming home, triumphant, from battle | The Vintage News

by the way, an alternative translation of “Ars Iuvanda Est” would be “Skill alone won’t do it, you have to help by fudging a little”.