Beurmann collection on video

The first of three short television films, from 2002, featuring Andreas Beurmann and his collection of historic instruments (some of which are now in the Hamburg museum). He is interviewed by the conductor Gerd Albrecht. At the end of each video there is a link to the next. Worth watching!

Thank you very much, Douglas. Absolutely wonderful!!! Had to hear the three sections all together in succession, to enjoy (learn) the sounds of this large range of classical instruments.
Especially great for me: The German language. And the first time that I specifically approved of the German state government collecting “taxes” for the support of the State-run “radio” NDR (Nord Deutscher Rundfunk, in this case).
Wolfgang

1 Like

Douglas,
an update and, perhaps, a bit of a disappointment, upon a second hearing. I had been happy to hear so many different period instruments, which is important if you cannot travel far (anymore). However, I am dubious now after a second hearing of the recordings, because I perceive that the sound track may not represent the original renditions of the instruments, and that NDR “played” with it, so that I am not sure that the frequency range has be played with, most likely the sound level.
If you look at the first set (of three), where Beurmann plays the Händel Passacaglia and go to 13.51 minutes, you will see Beurmann play a “transition of a theme” and suddenly the sound increases without him making any movement other than continuing to play (no sudden coupling to the upper keyboard).
Could the sudden volume increase come from the somewhat faster play at that point? There are arpeggios before and after the volume change. It seems like that there may be only more keys depressed per second after the transition point.
I do not have the sheet music for that piece, which may be a handicap. But I sure would like to resolve the issue as to whether the NDR has rendered the instrument sound truthfully.

Wolfgang

Wolfgang, it seems to me that at 13.51 Beurmann changes from playing on one 8’ to playing on two 8’ stops. The keyboards are now coupled. We don’t see him move the coupler so NDR must have made an edit at that point.

That is what I thought. thank you., Douglas

| DouglasA Douglas Amrine
November 10 |

• | - |

Wolfgang, it seems to me that at 13.51 Beurmann changes from playing on one 8’ to playing on two 8’ stops. The keyboards are now coupled. We don’t see him move the coupler so NDR must have made an edit at that point.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Wolfgang G. Knauss
Theodore von Karman Professor of
Aeronautics and Applied Mechanics, emeritus
California Institute of Technology
Pasadena CA 91001

626 395 4524 Phone — Office
626 798 3793 Phone — Home
626 797 0405 Fax — Home