Cat-proofing a harpsichord

Hi all,

I just got a cat, and have been made aware that cats and harpsichords really do not play nice. I have an unfortunately lidless italian virginal and would really love to let the cat into the room the harpsichord is in at some point. Does anyone have any advice regarding improvising a lid or any other recommendations? I know that cats getting on the soundboard is to be avoided (broken strings, etc), but do I need to be concerned about it jumping on the keyboard as well?

Thanks,
George

The cat will not break more than 1 string, I say from experience. After that, it’ll’ve learned its lesson.
I don’t think it’s likely to damage the keys.

Dale

1 Like

We have two cats, and we have two harpsichords, and a fortepiano open all the time right now. One of the cats walked on the strings once, leaving footprints in the dust on the soundboard. And never again. They walk across the jackrail like it is a bridge. So I don’t worry too much about this. If the Italian virginal is light in weight, then I would be more concerned. If you can get a piece of wood, thin (1/4 inch, 6 mm) cut in the same shape as the instrument, but slightly bigger all the way around to lay on top, that might be a good thing.

You could improvise a quick solution with an oversized piece of 1/4" plywood. It is easy to cut to shape and low cost. Kitty will not push it off. You could even secure it with stick on Velcro for a quick solution. Better than drilling holes. My full grown kitty loves to imitate me by walking in the keyboard. So fa no harm done (1 year plus).

Most cats have cat box bathroom habits, but most piano technicians have met a piano which a cat has chosen as an alternative bathroom. When a cat has adopted a place as a bathroom, it is virtually impossible to change its behavior. Cat pee can do serious damage, and leaves an odor that never fully leaves the piano.
A decorative shawl or quilt would be one easy to create cover for a virginal.

2 Likes

You can buy a 4x4 ⅛ hardboard/masonite at a big box store and cut to fit.

I can’t think of anything more fun for a cat to claw. (Disclaimer: I am
not a cat)

Didn’t makers often make outer cases for polygonal virginals?

I see William Horn does for his.

You could get a maker to build one. Could offer greater, and more convenient protection than a bit of ply or masonite on the top - which wouldn’t protect the keyboard.

1 Like

You could make a nice cover with polycarbonate sheet from a big box store. Get the cutting tool (score and snap).

Tesa tape could make a good hinge for the keyboard. Velcro loop tape can cushion against the case.

Polycarbonate may be overkill. Plain clear acrylic would be cheaper. Not sure why it is advantageous to use plastic though.

Either one is prettier than Masonite or raw plywood. Polycarbonate may give less traction to cat claws.

Note that many contemporary paintings of people playing harpsichord include cats. Mine likes to demand attention when I’m playing.

Can you show some?

On my topless Italian, I used a small device designed that buzzed when there were sudden vibrations, i.e. cat jumping in it. Both cats quickly discovered they didn’t like it. That was 5 years ago. I stopped using the device 4 years ago and have never had a problem since.

RE: “Can you show some [paintings]?”
Not a painting, but a somewhat bemused cat sitting on a catproof Pleyel and listening to the jacks scurrying. Judging from the claws of the human it’s presumably the cat fugue that is being played, so the cat is the muse here. Does it have a name? I do not know but am sure it did.

Good idea- doubtless many other topless Italians would benefit from such a device.