Harpsichord regulation

They’re still called ‘pen knives’ at least in the US.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Don Angle. He was a technician and craftsman of a singular and unique order. People such as he are few and far between. And a charming gentleman too I believe. And what a wonderful player as well.

The immortal Chocolate Bunnies (and more):

A William Dowd (no doubt with delrin jacks). I believe Don was with Dowd, not Hubbard?

1 Like

I had the pleasure of meeting Don on multiple occasions, learning some technician tips from him, and hearing his scintillating concerts. The stride selections really were something. So were his Beatles arrangements. Great fun, and superb musicianship.

You’re probably right about Dowd vs. Hubbard. He was a Boston fixture, in any case.

1 Like

Dear All

Yes, Don Angle was with Dowd for decades, and continued technical work on Dowd instruments long after William Dowd retired and the shop closed.

What a character!

I safely attribute Dowd’s recognition as the benchmark US maker through the 80s, to the care and precision of Don’s voicing and regulation work.

Regards

Carey

1 Like

Don did a magnificent job revoicing my 1976 Dowd French double. He was sui generis and is greatly missed.