Soler keyboard sonatas

(This may belong to a different topic “chatgpt” but I leave it in the Soler thread as it will contain relevant informations)

I am annoyed by chatgpt responses just for the same reason. However it may depend on the question or how it is asked. Look at the following response I just got. My question’s form was maybe a bit rude:

“where are manuscripts of Soler’s sonatas held? I need both libraries and shelfmark.”

The response wasn’t entirely spot-on, but does give some relevant informations (though I don’t know if reliable), and there is less of that verbosity we don’t like. Some useless remarks there still are: of course different manuscripts have different shelfmarks!

The manuscripts of Antonio Soler’s sonatas are preserved in various libraries and archives around the world. The main institutions that hold a significant collection of Soler’s manuscripts are:

1. Real Monasterio de San Lorenzo de El Escorial (Spain) - This monastery, located near Madrid, is the primary location where Antonio Soler’s manuscripts are preserved. The majority of his original manuscripts are kept in the Library of the Monasterio de El Escorial. The specific call numbers may vary, but Soler’s manuscripts are often identified with the abbreviations “M.E. Ms.” or “M.E. 1-??”.
  2. Biblioteca Nacional de España (Spain) - The National Library of Spain in Madrid also houses a significant collection of music manuscripts, including those of Soler. The specific call numbers for Soler’s manuscripts in the Biblioteca Nacional de España may vary, but they can include the abbreviations “M. 8614-8619” and “M. 9200-9222”.
  3. Biblioteca de Catalunya (Spain) - The Biblioteca de Catalunya in Barcelona holds some manuscripts of Soler as well. The specific call numbers may vary, but Soler’s manuscripts can be identified with the abbreviations “M. 1820-1830”.
  4. British Library (United Kingdom) - The British Library in London also possesses a collection of music manuscripts, including some of Soler’s manuscripts. The specific call numbers for Soler’s manuscripts in the British Library may vary, but they can include the abbreviations “Add MS 30802-30806” and “Add MS 37085-37087”.
  5. Biblioteca de Palacio Real de Madrid (Spain) - The Library of the Royal Palace of Madrid also preserves some of Soler’s manuscripts. The specific call numbers may vary, but Soler’s manuscripts can be identified with the abbreviations “II/2157-I/2184” and “II/2382-II/2432”.

It’s important to note that the specific call numbers of Soler’s manuscripts may slightly vary among different institutions. I recommend checking online catalogs or contacting the libraries or archives directly to obtain updated information on the specific call numbers and to access the manuscripts.

Dear all,

As I (assuredly NOT of artificial extraction) have shared with our esteemed colleague Pieter-Jan Belder recently, the source of the most recently discovered Soler sonatas can be found in the Cary MS. It is presently kept in the Morgan Library in America. There are three parts to the digitised facsimile available via a rather simple Google search based on the information provided in this message, and modern transcriptions can also be downloaded. For those who don’t wish to indulge in keyword searches yet feel intrigued by a need for vitriol - which I don’t admire - ask me please for the required links! I see no need for this feed to become similarly tiresome to those found on Facebook.

Kindly yours,

Adam D Bowden.

I see no vitriol in this thread, express or implied. Consequently please refrain from such comments please.