Zuckermann brass

Zuckermann uses the word ‘historical’ on this page for their brass:

Zuckermann historical wire is made specifically for use in our harpsichords and clavichords.

So, what do they mean exactly, and where do they source this?

I know many will not agree, but I found Zuckermann brass and iron good. Possibly as good as Malcolm Rose. I restrung a spinet, formerly Zuckermann-strung, with Malcolm Rose and was disappointed.
As for iron, I see many talk of Zuckermann’s iron as tin plated or something like that. All Zuckermann iron I have, for two different kits (a spinet and a french double) is non-plated and has a certain “antique” feel, i.e. it has a somewhat coarse or rough surface, not smooth, and not light-reflective. If anybody is interested I can post a picture of the coils.

As for brass, find it more “singing” than Malcom Rose’s, at least on my harpsichord.
I don’t know where they source their wire, nor I know if there is any difference with TPW’s kits strings. Once they were branches of the same company, then TPW parted away.

So it seems nobody has any clues at all about Zuckermann brass material and source?

Dear Andrew

“Zuckermann” yellow brass was C26000 brass alloy (ie the usual 70/30 “Cartridge” brass), drawn by Little Falls Alloys seven numbers hard (ie less hard than spring temper) to a tolerance of .0003˝ for diameters .014˝ to 018˝, slightly larger tolerance for larger diameters.

Regards

Carey

@hpschdNU Thanks! I suspected it was Little Falls wire but I was not sure.

And so, their use is the word ‘historical’ to describe the wire is not really right, as most people would call this modern brass wire.

What wire is it that you sell?

Little Falls again!

Do you know if the Zuckermann-LF wire is the same than the LutzBungart-LF wire?

(and btw, I know this thread is about brass, but I’d like to know about Zuckermann iron as well, as I happen to somewhat like it).